7th event edition in Endurance Town USA set for April 27–29, 2018 adds new 4-person Marathon Relay; register today!
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — (June 1, 2017) — The 6th SLO Marathon + Half event was held on April 26–30 with more than 3,800 participants for the Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K, Kids’ races or Healthy Running Conference. Starting and finishing at the landmark Madonna Inn Meadows, the Spring tradition community event produced by Race SLO is the Central Coast’s largest running festival. In 2018, the 7th event edition, set for April 27–29, has added a 4-person Marathon Relay.
“Our 6th edition was simply our best yet with the 4-day Healthy Running Conference, Hall of Fame VIP Friday reception and all the energy & excitement race weekend for the thousands of runners and spectators. In addition, our new Marathon and Half Marathon courses produced three event records!” said Samantha Pruitt, Race SLO Founder & CEO. “Also, for our 2018 Early Bird one-week registration special, a record number of runners signed up to return to Endurance Town USA, and with our sponsors, partners, volunteers, local government agencies and staff, the planning for our 7th event edition next April has begun.”
FAST FACTS from the 6th event edition, April 26–30, 2017:
- Entrants: 3,800-plus overall (520-plus Marathon, 2,300-plus Half Marathon, 1,000-plus 5K and Children’s Races)
- 1,000 local volunteers and staff
- 34 states and 2 military territories represented
- 25 event sponsors and partners
- 7 countries represented including the U.S.
- 3 event beneficiaries: Jack’s Helping Hand, Bike SLO County and Grizzly Youth Academy
- 3 event records (see below)
- 1 inductee — Joe Rubio — into the SLO Marathon Hall of Fame, 6th class
- 59.8% Female
- 40.2% Male
- Average Age: 36.6
- Youngest Participant: 1, several children entered with their parents
- Oldest Participant: Jack Kendrick, 96, Arroyo Grande, CA
Half Marathon champions
Ben Bruce(USA / AZ), 1:09:21, event record
Jenny Kadavy (USA / CA), 1:20:20, event record
Sergio Reyes (USA / CA), 2:21:42, event record
Kelsey Lakowske (USA / CA), 2:59:08
- Race SLO events have donated more than $105,000 since 2011.
- 500 members for the Teams Initiative sponsored by Morris & Garritano
- The biggest team, with 41 members, was Running for Riley, a local cause raising funds with support from Jack’s Helping Hand; second largest team with 36 members was San Luis Distance Club.
- Train, support and fund the award-winning Race SLO Grizzly Run Club program for more than 150 challenged youths annually, including hosting a bi-annual 10K on base Camp San Luis for the students.
Visit slomarathon.com to register or for more event information.
ABOUT RACE SLO
Established in 2008 to bring world class sporting events to the beautiful California Central Coast, the Race SLO event line-up includes the 7th SLO Marathon + Half and 5K (Spring 2018), the Healthy Running Sports Medicine Conference (Spring 2018), SLO Ultra trail races & NEW Mountain Bike Race at Wild Cherry Canyon (Fall 2017), SLO GranFondo cycling & VIP event (Fall 2017) and the inaugural Warrior Trail Run Adventure (Spring 2018).
The Race SLO Team organizes and produces both fun & competitive running and cycling events that create a positive impact on both our participants and local communities.
Our mission: Through human experiences, we create social & economic impact to share our legacy.
Come experience the best the California Central Coast has to offer: year-round sunshine, rolling green hills, unspoiled open roads, first class finish lines and more. Come Race SLO: #EnduranceTownUSA!
Visit RaceSLO.com for more information.