5th Anniversary “Small Town, Big Race” celebration weekend set for April 29 — May 1, 2016; “More Cowbell” theme for 5th edition
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — (May 13, 2015) — The 4th San Luis Obispo Marathon + Half presented by LeftLaneSports.com was held on April 24–26 with more than 4,000 runners finishing one of the weekend’s events including the Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K and Kids’ Quarter Mile and 1-Mile fun run. Starting and finishing at the landmark Madonna Inn, the event is San Luis Obispo County’s largest running festival.
Registration is now open for the 5th Anniversary “Small Town, Big Race” celebration on April 29 — May 1, 2016 at http://www.slomarathon.com with a special discount (Use code: HIGHFIVE) through Sunday, May 17 as part of its 5th Anniversary $5 off for 5 days sale.
“We had an incredible weekend of events with more than 4,000 runners, great races with high-level competition and the support of the community was fantastic,” stated Race Director Samantha Pruitt. “I want to personally thank our staff, sponsors and the 900 local volunteers who provide a great experience for all the participants and visitors alike to San Luis Obispo on race weekend.”
2015 Half Marathon champion and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo alumnus Ben Bruce commented, “If you have never visited San Luis Obispo make the SLO Marathon weekend your reason to go. A 5K and kids’ races on Saturday, along with the Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday provides something for everyone. It’s a small town race that packs a big race feel. The organization is top notch and you can’t beat running past wineries and finishing at the famous Madonna Inn!”
FAST FACTS from the 2015 event:
- Entrants: 4,000-plus overall (650-plus Marathon, 2650-plus Half Marathon, 700-plus 5K & Children’s Races)
- More than 14,000 tuned into USL.TV for live streaming video throughout race weekend. All weekend video available at http://www.usl.tv/archive/
- 45 States represented
- 5 Countries represented
- 61% Female, 39% Male
- Youngest Participant: 1
- Oldest Participant: 80
- Median Age: 47
- Ben Bruce (USA / AZ), 1:10:55, event record
- Stephanie Bruce (USA / AZ), 1:23:14
- Jorge Maravilla (USA / CA), 2:26:47, event record
- Kimberly O’Donnell (USA / CA), 2:59:02, second conscecutive, event record
- RaceSLO events have donated more than $60,000 since 2011
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has raised more than $1.5 million since 2011
- 1,000-plus team participants sponsored by Morris & Garrianto
- The biggest team was at 80-plus: Team Running for Riley, a local cause raising funds with support from Jack’s Helping Hands
- Train, support and fund the Grizzly Youth Academy running club program for more than 150 challenged youths annually, including hosting a bi-annual 10K on base Camp San Luis for the students.
About the San Luis Obispo Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K + Children’s Race
The 5th San Luis Obispo Marathon + Half Marathon presented by LeftLaneSports.com will be held April 29 — May 1, 2016 and will take runners through the town’s charming downtown corridor, out into the rolling hills of the renowned Edna Valley vineyards, then back into the city center and onto the iconic Madonna Inn property for a spectacular downhill, panoramic finish. The Family Fitness 5K and Children’s Quarter Mile Dash takes place on the Madonna Inn property on Saturday, April 30, 2016.
To register for the marathon, half-marathon, 5K or children’s race, view course maps, volunteer or for additional SLO Marathon information, go to: www.slomarathon.com/register
The event is organized by Get Off The Couch Potato Sports Productions. To learn more and see our complete race portfolio, visit: www.raceslo.com
Also follow us on Facebook @SLOMarathon, Twitter @SLOMarathon and Instagram @RaceSLO and use hashtags #SmallTownBigRace and #RaceSLO.
# # #