Husband and wife elite team Ben and Stephanie Bruce take Half Marathon titles with Ben breaking the course record.
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — (April 26, 2015) — On a perfect, sunny Central Coast Sunday morning, Jorge Maravilla (37) of Mill Valley, Calif. and Kimberly O’Donnell (25), from Walnut Creek, Calif., were the overall male and female champions respectively at the 4th San Luis Obispo Marathon presented by LeftLaneSports.com. Maravilla crushed the marathon course record by nearly eight minutes to finish in 2:26:50. O’Donnell repeats as champion breaking her own course record, finishing in 2:59:02 and taking 5 minutes off her previous record. The previous men’s Marathon record was held by Ryan Neely of Walnut Creek, Calif. with a time of 2:34:46 in 2014, O’Donnell’s 2014 record time was 3:04:33.
Peter Kemboi (35) from Kenya, placed second in 2:33:12 and Joe Thorne (31), 2013 SLO Marathon Champion from Arroyo Grande, Calif. crossed the line in third place at 2:34:24.The most competitive field thus far in the event, the top three males all broke the previous course record of 2:34:46. On the women’s side, Carri Arrieta (48) from Moreno Valley, Calif. was runner-up in 3:20:15 with Julie Gamez (25) of San Luis Obispo, CA was third with a time of 3:20:42.
Prize money for the race increased for 2015. Marathon champions Maravilla and O’Donnell took home $600 each, Kemboi and Arrieta won $300 each and Thorne and Gamez pocketed $150.
For the second year in a row, a husband and wife team has taken the top spot in the half marathon. Ben Bruce (32) and Stephanie Bruce (32) of Flagstaff, Arizona dominated the field. Bruce, a Cal Poly University graduate, set a new men’s half marathon course record, covering the 13.1 miles in 1:10:55. Stephanie, pregnant with their second child, followed her husband, crossing the line in 1:23:14.
Stephen Grolle placed second in the Half Marathon, clocking a time of 1:13:22 and Andrew Farris was third in 1:15:09. For the women, Allison Gonzales (24) was runner-up in 1:24:54, while Ashley Relf (31) crossed the line third in 1:25:01.
Prize money for the Half Marathon winners Ben and Stephanie Bruce took home $300 each, Grolle and Gonzales earned $150 each and Farris and Relf received $75.
More than 4000 athletes participated in the weekend festivities. The 2016 San Luis Obispo Marathon will celebrate its 5th Anniversary April 29 — May 1, 2016. Early Bird registration for the event is open until May 3rd at http://raceroster.com/events/2016/5398/2016-san-luis-obispo-marathon-half-marathon-5k-family-fitnes. The marathon is $100 and the half marathon is $75.
4th San Luis Obispo Marathon presented by LeftLaneSports.com
San Luis Obispo, CA, Sunday, April 26, 2015
- 1) Jorge Maravilla, 37, (CA), 2:26:50*, $600
- 2) Peter Kemboi, 35, Kenya, 2:33:12, $300
- 3) Joe Thorne (CA), 2:34:24, $150
- *course record (previous record, 2:34:46, Ryan Neely (CA), 2014)
- 1) Kimberly O’Donnell (CA), 2:59:02*, $600
- 2) Carri Arrieta (CA), 3:20:15, $300
- 3) Julie Gamez (CA), 3:20:42, $150
- *course record (previous record, 3:04:33, Kimberly O’Donnell (CA), 2014)
4th San Luis Obispo Half Marathon presented by LeftLaneSports.com
- 1) Ben Bruce (CA), 1:10:55*, $300
- 2) Steven Grolle(CA), 1:13:22, $150
- 3) Andrew Farris (CA), 1:15:09, $75
- *course record (previous record, 1:12:18, Joe Thorne (CA), 2014)
- 1) Stephanie Bruce (CA), 1:23:14, $300
- 2) Allison Gonzales (CA), 1:24:54, $150
- 3) Ashley Relf (CA), 1:25:01, $75
- (course record 1:21:07, Kara Thorne (CA), 2014)
Complete race results can be found at: www.slomarathon.com/results